Southold Blotter: Greenport man arrested for criminal mischief


Southold Town Police arrested a 21-year-old Greenport man on charges of criminal mischief after he allegedly tore off a bonnet visor from a vehicle parked near the North Ferry last Tuesday evening.

An investigation found Isaias Cruz-Ramirez was responsible for the offense and he was charged with criminal mischief after he was located near Main Street and Central Avenue in Greenport.

Police reports also refer to an incident involving Mr Cruz-Ramirez three days later, when he allegedly kicked a police vehicle and attempted to remove his rear license plate after being found asleep in front of a business on the main street and invited to leave. He reportedly fled the area on foot and was not found.

• Police were called to a verbal argument at the Cross Sound Ferry on Friday afternoon.

Officials said a 44-year-old Bridgehampton man reported that a 51-year-old Southampton man walked past him in line and began swearing and insulting him after he honked.

No further police action was taken, but ferry staff ensured the men were placed on separate boats.

• Police arrested a 22-year-old man from Southold for drunk driving during a traffic stop on Friday.

A man called police to report seeing the vehicle not maintain its westbound lane on Main Road around 7:20 p.m. An officer stopped the vehicle on Oaklawn Ave. and found the driver, Gustavo Rodriguez-Giron, intoxicated.

• A Pride flag was stolen from a home on Peconic Bay Boulevard in Laurel last Wednesday morning. According to an incident report, the pole it was displayed on was also bent.

• Police were called to Main Road in Cutchogue last Wednesday after a man reported finding a plastic bottle containing 12 “unused” needles. An officer secured and properly disposed of the bottle shortly after noon.

• Detectives were tipped off after a door was found unlocked at Sacred Heart Church in Cutchogue and white powder was seen all over the floor on Saturday afternoon.

After an investigation, police determined that “several fire extinguishers” had been used inside the premises.

• A woman called police about a Yaphank man trying to sell pest control products on her doorstep on Cottage Way in Mattituck last Tuesday.

Police responded and spoke with the man, who said his boss asked him to come to North Fork and was told he needed a valid peddler’s license to continue. He left the area and no further action was taken, according to reports.

• Police responded to the BP service station on Route 48 in Cutchogue last week after a verbal argument between a 49-year-old delivery driver, a 25-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman.

Police say the driver was making a delivery in Cutchogue when he ‘observed a woman through the window a few doors down’ and said ‘whoa’ when he was threatened by a man for harassing the woman and talking inappropriately.

Police advised the man to refrain from delivering to the area again and no further action was taken.

• A check was stolen from a front door along Mechanic Street in Southold last Thursday morning.

Police say a 56-year-old man left a check for $2,933.86 for an oil company in an envelope tied to the front door. Later, via home security camera, he observed a FedEx driver delivering a package remove the envelope before the fuel company arrived.

No money was taken from the man’s account and FedEx was notified of the incident. Detectives are investigating.

• Marine Police units received a call about a vessel in distress just west of Robins Island on Sunday afternoon.

According to reports, a 40-year-old man from Riverhead reported that his engine would not start. He was towed to the New Suffolk boat launch by police and arranged with a friend to bring his car and trailer from Riverhead, from where they took off.

• A 75-year-old woman from Greenport contacted police last Thursday to report an unauthorized charge to her credit card. According to an incident report, the charges totaled $1,700 and were laid in multiple locations. An investigation is underway.

• Detectives are investigating after a 75-year-old man from Cutchogue reported that several checks he sent were intercepted last week. The man reported that at least one check for $129 was intercepted and counterfeited for $9,725 to an unknown person. The man alerted his bank, which refunded the money, and an investigation is ongoing.

• A boat fire was reported at Mitchell Park Marina on Saturday around 8.30pm.

A police report did not contain further details.

Those named in the police reports have not been convicted of any crime or offense. The charges against them can then be reduced or withdrawn, or they can be declared innocent.


Comments are closed.